Customer Care and Warranty
Caring for your Cabinetry
Here are a few tips on keeping your cabinets looking like new.
Guide For New Cabinetry
Now that your cabinets have been installed, this guide will describe how to take care of them, how to handle repairs over time and how to add options and additions.
Once your cabinets are installed, the temptation is to immediately begin putting things in the drawers and cabinets. After all, you've been waiting for this moment a long time. However, before starting to put things away, we suggest you do the following:
- With a damp - but not wet - soft cloth, wipe down all the cabinetry, including the inside of drawers and cabinets and all hardware. Use another clean, soft cloth to dry. If you use a glass cleaner on any glass doors, be sure to protect the wood surfaces as ammonia in the glass cleaner can damage the finish on your cabinets. Whenever possible, it is best to remove the glass from the cabinet in order to clean it.
- If you have any questions about installation, features, options or your cabinets, contact us immediately. It's always easier to take care of the questions early, rather than after you've had the cabinets for several months.
- Once you've wiped down your cabinets, you can polish the doors, drawers and front frames with a good quality furniture polish that does not contain silicone. Buff the polish with a soft cloth to maintain the furniture quality finish.
- Because your cabinets have water resistant vinyl laminated interiors, you do not need to line them with shelf paper. Instead, wipe them with a soft cloth in the same way that you wipe down the exteriors.
What To Use On Your Cabinets
Like any fine-quality surface, your cabinetry should be treated carefully and cleaned and maintained with quality materials.
- DO NOT allow water, chemicals (detergents, ammnia, vinegar, etc.) and hot or acid food spills to set on your cabinets. ALWAYS immediately wipe up spills as quickly as possible so they won't damage the wood.
- DO use a soft cloth. DO NOT USE coarse or abrasive cloths or materials as they may dull the finish or leave scratches that cannot be removed. DEFINITELY AVOID soap pads, scouring pads and brushes.
- DO use soapy water, a mild all purpose cleaner without ammonia, or an oil soap cleaner made especially for wood components. DO NOT USE ammonia, products that contain ammonia, strong solvent cleaners, mineral spirits, paint thinner or any other harsh cleaning chemicals.
- DO use high quality polish that is especially formulated for fine furniture. DO NOT USE wax or a polish that contains silicone. Wax builds up on the surface and causes yellowing; silicones smudge and highlight fingerprints, and can be removed only with extreme measures.
- For melamine or thermofoil cabinetry, DO clean with a mild nonabrasive cleaner using a soft cloth. DO NOT USE ammonia or any type of abrasive cleaner or cloth.
- All drawer and sliding tray guides are rated for 100 lb. weight capacity. Periodically check to make sure that you are not placing too heavy a load on shelves and drawer bottoms. This is especially important with sliding trays, slide out drawers, lazy susans, and any place where heavy or unbalanced loads can shorten the life expectancy of the moving or mechanical parts.
What To Expect From Your Cabinetry
Wood is a natural material. As such, seasonal growth patterns and weather conditions contribute to the uniqueness of the grain and colour in each piece of board cut from a tree. These conditions also add the swirls, burls, mineral streaking, fine pinholes, pitch pockets and colour streaks that you find in the wood of all fine cabinetry and furniture. Later, as the wood is cut, sanded and rubbed with a finish, all of these features combine to give your cabinetry special character and a deep, rich patina.
Because temperature, seasonal growth patterns and weather conditions are not the same in all parts of the country, different types of trees produce wood with different features.
The cabinetry you have selected has its own personality and character, as well as a richness and depth in its colour and grain. You will be more likely to notice the variations in the grain and colour of your cabinetry if you have selected a natural or light finish. If you chose a darker finish choice, those variations will probably be less apparent.
Your cabinetry has been constructed from carefully selected quality hardwoods. Because imperfections are part of the natural beauty of hardwood, and not the result of the manufacturing of your cabinets, your warranty cannot cover differences in colour, grain and natural variations. Nor can it cover possible differences in colour when adding new cabinetry to old. We encourage you to enjoy the natural beauty of solid wood and appreciate those characteristics that give it personality.
From time to time you may encounter some unavoidable situations that create minor problems with your cabinetry. Before calling Cerwood Custom Cabinetry for help, consider the following:
- Wipe up spills as quickly as possible so they won't damage the wood. Clean your cabinetry with a damp, soft cloth and wipe dry. Then apply a light coat of high quality furniture polish.
- Minor scratches or dents in your cabinetry can be treated with a touchup kit. For major damage like severe scratching, broken doors or drawers, paint spills, etc., call us for help or replacement.
- If over time screws become loose on hinges or drawer pulls, you can achieve a temporary fix by gluing a small diameter dowel rod into the hole using a high quality wood glue. Cut the dowel rod flush with the top of the screw hole and place into the hole. Let the glue dry and then replace the screw. Do not over torque the screw, or you will risk stripping it out again.
- Minor door alignment can be corrected by adjusting the hinges. Generally, when you open the cabinet door, you will find the side-to-side adjustment slot on the door part of the hinge and the up and down adjustment on the frame portion of the hinge.
- For hinges and hardware that do not work properly, contact Cerwood for assistance.
- Consider window treatments that block direct sunlight exposure on your cabinetry, thereby minimizing colour changes in the finish. This is especially important if you intend to add on additional cabinetry at a later date.
- When adding on additional cabinetry in the same room at a later date, consider the following techniques that may help minimize the colour differences between the old and the new units. Place the new cabinetry on a different wall so any colour difference won't be as noticeable. Replace existing trim and molding with darker/lighter wood to give the old and new cabinets a unified look. Experiment with two-tone cabinets in the same wood species.
Why Choose Cerwood?
Attention to details
- Convenient hours and locations.
- Free estimates by professional designers.
- Final measure to ensure accuracy upon completion.
- Quality guarantee on products.
- Extensive selection of materials and finishes.
- Cutlery trays, garbage bins, lazy susan and much much more!
Cabinet & Wood Products Warranty
This guarantee is valid for a period of one year following the date of purchase. Warranty excludes hinges and meta-box drawer systems, as they have their own 25-year guarantee.
Terms and Conditions:
Cabinets and wood products are guaranteed against apparent or hidden defect that might affect their quality or cause premature deterioration.
This guarantee does not apply to accessory items such as, but not limited to, garbage cans, cutlery trays, lazy susans, etc.
When damages are caused by:
- Misuse, abuse, or improper maintenance on behalf of the buyer.*
- Improper installation or exposure to the elements
- Any modification, transformation, alteration, or correction of the product without written authorization from Cerwood & Family Ltd.
- Exposure to a temperature exceeding 85 degrees celsius.
- Water or liquid penetrating any surface, cut edge, or seam.
- Any deterioration of the product resulting from normal wear.
- Any indirect damage and inconvenience, or any incident relating to the costs relative to the application of this guarantee.
This guarantee is un-assignable and constitutes the only guarantee offered by Cerwood & Family Ltd.
Execution of Guarantee:
For the duration of this guarantee, in order to exercise his rights, the buyer shall notify Cerwood & Family Ltd without delay and shall provide proof of purchase. The buyer shall not make any repairs before Cerwood & Family Ltd has had an opportunity to examine the product and evaluate its installation.
Service calls for damage outside the duration of the warranty or deemed to be exclusionary by Cerwood & Family Ltd is subject to extra charges, which will be determined by Cerwood & Family Ltd.
* Care and Maintenance
Care & Maintenance: use a soft cloth with a non-abrasive, non-corrosive, oil-based cleaning product for wood surface. Use a soft cloth with a non-abrasive, non-corrosive, liquid cleaning product for melamine or laminate surfaces.Request a Free Estimate Service Request
How to Measure Your Space
We will do a final measure in your home prior to beginning construction of your cabinets. This way, if your dimensions are off by even a fraction of an inch we will catch it before building.read more
Frequently Asked Questions
10 Items to Look for When Purchasing Custom Cabinetry for your Homeread more
"Aimee at Cerwood worked with us to design new cabinets for our kitchen & bathroom. We were so impressed with her creativity and suggestions for reworking the layout of our main floor, and never imagined we could have such a showpiece in our home! The installers are all very professional, polite, and talented. We would recommend Cerwood & Family to anyone looking for a high end kitchen, at a reasonable price! We absolutely LOVE our kitchen!"Cathy and Steve B.
"I am extremely delighted with my new Cerwood kitchen! I found the designer, Aimee Bender, to be extremely creative and accommodating when I had some special requests for matching my new island to my existing buffet and hutch, and then tying in my cherry cabinetry by adding some special finishes. My new kitchen lay-out is much more functional than my old kitchen, which makes meal prep and hosting dinner parties so much more enjoyable! The production and installation people were all very professional and took great care to do an excellent job! I wouldn't change a thing!"Denise B.
"All I can say is WOW! Love it!!! Looks fantastic!!!"Kim S.
"I recently had your cabinets installed in my kitchen, by your employee Derek and his assistant. I am pleased to inform you that the work was done on time and in a very professional manner. I wish to congratulate you and your company on a job well done."Gabi T.
"We are loving the kitchen, and how friendly the crew are when they have come to install!"Ashley R.
"New kitchen looks great! You and your team have done a great job. My wife & I thank you."Luc S.